Convent of solitude
Through the convent the town was born, and it was a parish for two centuries.
Begun on December 13, 1610, by Fray Tomás de Morales, and conceived as a Recoleta convent, it became the center of spiritual life in the region for two centuries. A hamlet developed around it, serving the travelers and the faithful who came on pilgrimage. Characters like José Celestino Mutis, Antonio Nariño and Simón Bolívar, among others, stayed there. Its church has a white steeple and a two-story cloister, with a square central courtyard, bordered by a Romanesque-type arcade. Flowers, medicinal plants and fruits were grown on the site for the friars' consumption. It is currently the headquarters of the Municipal Mayor's Office.